Is it even legal for an acoustic to sound like this ?

DdBob

Dogue in teh desert
j. mascis is GOD !

Seriously though This is what gary Blanchard could sound like if he put a big muff on the guitar and dropped the grateful dead songs. I mean both are from the north east...j in vermont i think and Gary in Mass I believe, also he and J have the same color hair basically, take ten years off garys age and you got J. mascis :love:

No its not legal. Or at least it shouldn't be.
I say lock him up or send him to Gary for therapy.
In other words, shut up and just play your Jazzmaster and get over yourself.

I've tried since the mid 90s, and I still don't get what's so fucking great about J Mascis. Meandering, mediocre overly long bullshit solos is what I'm more often than not left with. Sorry.
But he has a shit model Fender sig.

I've tried since the mid 90s, and I still don't get what's so fucking great about J Mascis. Meandering, mediocre overly long bullshit solos is what I'm more often than not left with. Sorry.
Why you sorry bro :embarrassed: Anyhoo...kinda like Jimmy Page, there is a "sloppiness" to it also J aka D. Jr. has a very idiosyncratic style which includes a unique sense of melody and dynamics...some folk don't get it cuz some folk likes McDonalds Big macs better than Joes burgers down the street because McDonalds burgers are put together with a science , they're very symmetrical and have little in the way of grease or randomness. Joes Burgers on the other hand are dripping grease, they ain't symmetrical and sometimes parts of the burger are done moar than other parts but when you bite into it joes burger REALLY satisfies and it stays with you. Micky D's burger in comparison has no distinct quality (other than the scientific exactness and uniformity), you bite into it and there's a reminder that this is just calories to fill you up...there's no discovery, no sense of danger...it's bland sustenance and then 2 hours later yer hungry again and you *spit*

i hope this helps :tongue:

Chris Whitley did it 5000 times better.
Your are right about a lot of things a lot of times but this time....NO. You're wrong and I'm not sorry.

I looked up this Chris Whitley bloke and um....no. He sounds contrived and "trying" where as J sounds like that's an extension of his personality...totally natural because he can NOT do it any other way...Chris sounds like he had options and he chose do do it the way he did (I listened to three clips bro :embarrassed:)

J also gives a btetter interview, here is a comparison

The Chris guy :snooze:

J. Mascis :listensintently:

I thank J for letting Fender put his name on those rather awesome Jazzmasters. Other than that...

I'd like to start a movement to have people avoid coming into artist-appreciation threads and dick-waving their disapproval all around. We get it - you don't like him. How about not making it all about how clever you are?

I do appreciate opinions when they're thought provoking or funny, but just "(famous artist here) sucks!" is banal at best. Because I could start posting my strong suspicion that most fans of Vai / Petrucchi / Satriani / (should I keep going? Because I can) are just impossibly sexually frustrated individuals who involved themselves with guitar for reasons that have next to nothing to do with music, and all about attempting to feed their ego through adolescent displays of virtuosity that would be far more palatable if they were jousting at Ren Faires, instead of jerking off bad super-Strats and engaging in second-degree echo-chamber circle jerks with other "real players."

Or we can just say "music - ain't it amazing?" And learn to appreciate that J. Mascis has a unique and complex voice as an artist (both instrumentally, as well as a vocalist), and has written some fantastic rock songs.

Was it something I said?

Back on topic: Britt from Spoon's early recordings and shows featured a heavily distorted acoustic-electric that I couldn't believe didn't feed back more than it did. Sounded wonderful.

Back