New Transatlantic Record

Yeah. I'm the resident fan of theirs here. Got it when it was released.
I love it. :love:

Not quite as good as Bridge Across Forever, but a way different (yet solid) album.

Performance and soundwise their best yet though. :)

I actually moved this from Andreas' private students forum because I knew you guys would be all over it :)

I dug the SMPTE release and have a DVD of a live show. Guess I'll have to grab it when I can find it. In Minnesota they always have 1 copy of these things you have to track down before someone else grabs it.

For all the grief I get over my love of power metal, I actually listen to prog or prog metal alot more than I listen to power metal :)

Having said that I've never gotten into Transatlantic. Great musicians, not sure the songs really interest me that much though.

what part of their sound comes from "Red" or "One Size Fits All"?

Their sound definitely comes more from "Close To The Edge" and "Foxtrot" with Roine Stolt bringing in some Zappa things here and there.
To be honest they never set out to reinvent anything, but rather celebrate the music a few of us love.

Jbird - being honest, the 2001 Bridge Across Forever is by FAR Transatlantic's best album. SmPte is not even close as that was more of a Morse/Stolt album (with Neal and Roine writing every other song on the album). Both of the later ones are very much more of a group effort. As an example, Pete Trewavas did a bunch of stuff on both BAF and The Whirlwind.

For all the grief I get over my love of power metal, I actually listen to prog or prog metal alot more than I listen to power metal :)

Having said that I've never gotten into Transatlantic. Great musicians, not sure the songs really interest me that much though.

Transatlantic is one of my all time fave bands, and 'Bridge Across Forever' is one of my favorite CDs of all time.

And yet I still don't have 'The Whirlwind', mainly due to me cutting back on any spending on myself in lieu of Christmas gifts for the family. I need a couple band gigs to get some CD money, but none are scheduled in the next three months yet...

Back