What are you bellwether menu choices when trying a new restaurant?

Dudeman1967

blah, blah, blah...
In other words what do you order first visit or two to get an idea of the quality of food of the restaurant as a whole and wether you will come again.
I'm dividing it up by ethnicity.

Mexican: Tortilla soup if available; chile relleno , enchilladas rancheras
Italian: Ceasar salad, pizza, cannelloni
Indian: tika masala, whichever korma
Chinese: hot and sour soup, crab rangoon, hot braised chicken or pork
American: blackened chicken sandwich if available, BLT, fries or chips if house made
Creole: gumbo, blackened chicken
Jamaican: got to be the jerk chicken
British: lol
German: lol again

I don't have a specific item per se, but I lean toward Veal at an Italian restaurant and Rib Eye steak at most other places.

Very strong correlation between top notch chile relleno and top notch everything else.

Chinese restaurants can mosttly be judged by the quality of their hot n sour soup.

Crappy gumbo predicts crappy creole food.

Weak Ceasar salad leads to below average Italian food.

In my experience anyway.

I tend to look for some favourites when I try new restaurant.

Butter Chicken
Buffalo Chicken sandwich or wrap
Any ridiculous bacon item.
Bacon cheeseburger.

If they do one of those well, I will explore the menu next visit.
If they don't have any of those, I'll just explore right off the bat or try the daily special.

Look at the menu. Does it feature tilapia or mahi mahi? Then leave. Are the desserts the old frozen standards like lava cake and tiramisu? Leave. Are they serving dishes from a decade ago, like Asian fusion or southern cuisine? Leave. Basically, learn what Sysco sells. Don't eat anywhere that serves it.

Exactly...Given a couple hours I can make anything...Yes I said anything, better than most overpriced food shops can make...Eating out is over blown and sure to become a thing of the past..............

If a restaurant can't put on a good beer, well........fuck 'em.

+1, it is always different.

Tomorrow we are trying a new place that is "coastal Mexican." I definitely have no default mode for that.
this. I try to order what the restaurant does well, to the best of my ability to figure out what that is.

What if the mexican place is a veracruz style seafood place and doesn't serve chili rellenos?
What if the the indian place is a south indian place and doesn't serve tikka masala (which isn't even indian..)

yadda yadda yadda

Back