Victory V30

Dexter Inferno

Serious error
My first go at a review thread in here.

Picked something that very few of you will have the opportunity to try before buying.

I've had my V30 for about 2 years now.

Bit of background: lunchbox amp made at the request of Guthrie Govan, so he could have an amp he could bring in an overhead locker on a plane. That said, it's MASSIVE for it's size.
Designed by former Cornford bloke Martin Kidd.

While it's called V30 it's actually at about 42 tube watts. 4 12ax7s, and 2 6L6s or EL34s (interchangable, and bias can be switched at the back).

Pair it with a Celestion Vintage 30 cabinet and you're golden.

Now, on to the sound.

2 channels. The clean channel is extremely clean - no breakup whatsoever. It just gets louder.
If you need some slight breakup sounds you need an OD pedal (and it takes pedals very well btw).

The drive channel though is where it's at. Goes from late 70s crunch up til some hi-gain awesomeness - think 80s/90s heavy metal - it doesn't do the modern djent bullshit. Shitloads of gain, I've never had the gain above 6 and that's enough with a single coil Strat.

Every guitar I've tried sounded fantastic with it, brings out the grittiness of a Tele or Strat very well.
And a humbucker equipped guitar just sings with it. Enough top end without it being too harsh.

Very musical EQ on the amp.

Perfect prog, hard rock, old school heavy metal amp.

For sounds, check out Guthrie's work with Steven Wilson and the latest Aristocrats album (although a lot of the time he uses the 100W bigger head) - or my band Wasted's album Ready To Roll, frequently used on that one, with guitars ranging from an OLP Baritone up to Teles, Strats and LPs - and the odd Chapman superstrat.

What's the suggested retail price?

Riff City has it at about 1k and the 1x12 cab at about 500 (they carry the entire Victory range). Imo well worth it, but I may be a bit biased. :wink:

And for those who'd like the more "vintage" type sounds the V40 sounds really good. One channel pedal platform. :wink:

Just watched a demo of the V40. I don't need the dirt channel. Sounds amazing.

If I were loaded with cash I'd get both that and the V22 (the plexi-styled "Sheriff"). :embarrassed:

Think the guys in Bros Landreth uses the V40 these days, and their tone is nothing short of spectacular.

Easy to see why the brand is starting to get noticed. Killer killer amps. And I'm happy I got on it very early.
Outstanding customer service as well apparently, although I haven't had to need it so far.
After 2 and a half years mine is still working flawlessly. :thu:

Back