Who is your favorite guitarist that you've 'discovered' in 2009 ??

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
It doesn't have to be a "New" guitarist, just one you've never listened to before until 2009.

The Jbird's picks are either Stephen Lill of the German progressive metal band Vanden Plas (they are kinda like Dream Theater, but more melodic):

or Brian Maillard, of Dominici (Dream Theater's first singer):

Last edited by a moderator:
I shouldn't be admitting this, but Tony Rice. I always knew who he was, but I had never bothered to seriously listen to him. My bad.

Javier Mas.

After that Leonard Cohen concert I've been trying to dig deeper and deeper.

I can see that. It's kinda hard to know where to start with him.

I got into him sideways through David Grisman. I found a great record of the two of them doing duets on vintage guitars and mandos, with salivation-worthy pics and all that.

album-tone-poems.jpg

Steffen Schackinger - just a fabulous musical rock player.

[youtube]JX61Jlvd-Yw[/youtube]

and perhaps surprisingly...John Petrucci..I'd never really heard him till this year :facepalm:

I'll spare you a Dream Theater vid though. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
I got into him sideways through David Grisman. I found a great record of the two of them doing duets on vintage guitars and mandos, with salivation-worthy pics and all that.

That's a great record.

Incidentally, I think it was my introduction to both of those players, as well.

You'd dig the rest of that series, too - Vol. 2 features Grisman and Martin Taylor, Vol. 3 features Grisman, Bob Brozman, and Mike Auldridge, and then there's Tone Poets, which turns the concept around, and features a ton of players playing one guitar and one mandolin.

That's a great record.

Incidentally, I think it was my introduction to both of those players, as well.

You'd dig the rest of that series, too - Vol. 2 features Grisman and Martin Taylor, Vol. 3 features Grisman, Bob Brozman, and Mike Auldridge, and then there's Tone Poets, which turns the concept around, and features a ton of players playing one guitar and one mandolin.

I'll do that, I love Martin Taylor. Brozman rubs me the wrong way sometimes. Something about his intonation, can't put my finger on it.

With Tony Rice, I'm working my way through the stuff he's done with Bela Fleck.

I'll do that, I love Martin Taylor. Brozman rubs me the wrong way sometimes. Something about his intonation, can't put my finger on it.

With Tony Rice, I'm working my way through the stuff he's done with Bela Fleck.

There's a lot to recommend with him. The first couple of David Grisman Quintet records are great. Everything by the Tony Rice Unit is worth checking out. Church Street Blues is a terrific record. Rice Brothers stuff is very good. If you like Peter Rowan's singing at all, the two records they've done together are excellent, too.

Probably Bryan Sutton. Flamenclogy turned me onto him a few months ago:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG9Az8fOkeg"]YouTube- Bryan Sutton - Texas Gales[/ame]

...Greg Koch...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQQIT4SJHpY"]YouTube- Greg Koch[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm embarassed to say that I finally discovered Steve Marriott and the whole Humble Pie stuff in '09.

Also I re-discovered Johnny Thunders...if re-discovering counts.

Steffan Schackinger and his lablemate Sebastien Cloutier, Jack Rose, and Joscho Stephan.

Back