Thirty-six years ago today

I was 8 years old at the time and believe it or not I remember it clearly. My mom was a huge fan and we were in the kitchen and she told me what happened. I don't remember if she cries or not but I remember not really understanding why somebody would want to do that....I guess I still don't understand.

I was 11, and could not possibly have cared less at the time.

Now I see it as a tragic and senseless taking of a young life in its prime. Very sad indeed, but still doesn't make me a Beatles fan.

Now I see it as a tragic and senseless taking of a young life in its prime. Very sad indeed, but still doesn't make me a Beatles fan.
I don't think you need to be a Beatles fan to see this as a senseless taking of life...

I was 8 years old at the time and believe it or not I remember it clearly. My mom was a huge fan and we were in the kitchen and she told me what happened. I don't remember if she cries or not but I remember not really understanding why somebody would want to do that....I guess I still don't understand.

Yeah, we'd been living in our then "new" (built in 1775) house and my parents. Given the time when the murder took place and era, I don't think we knew about it until the next morning. It was dumbfounding. I don't think I had any real concept of murder and barely one of death at the time. At the very least I didn't understand someone that wasn't a criminal, soldier, or police officer getting shot at or killed. Bad guys or those protecting us from bad guys get shot, not musicians...not one of the Beatles...certainly not John Lennon.

I was driving back from work and was listening to MNF and heard the announcement. When I got back to my apt, my GF at the time who was/is a HUGE Beatles fan was waiting for me crying. It was a very surreal evening.

I was in high school at the time. All the hippies were crying and trying to sing songs from himself through the tears. I laughed at them and went to class.
I was never a fan of Lennon,but was saddened by the event.

This except I was 10 also neither of my parents were Beatles fans or rawk and rollers for that matter...maricahi music my dad liked and teh country and western and mom listened to whatever dad had on the radio. I'm pretty sure my dad at the time viewed lennon as one of those hippies...a troublemaker :embarrassed:

"If someone thinks that love and peace is a cliche that must have been left behind in the Sixties, that's his problem. Love and peace are eternal." -- John Lennon

I was 17 when he died riding around with my buddies drinking beer and smoking weed. DC 101 started playing Lennon songs so we listened to a few then shoved a Doobie Brothers tape in and rolled on.

+1

Yoko Ono deserves respect, and her own appreciation thread, as a significant artist.

But she's an Asian American woman and a visual/conceptual artist, so three strikes.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about her being an asian woman, or even as a "conceptual artist" of debatable merit. What counts is that

SHE BROKE UP THE FUCKING BEATLES, MAN!!!!!!

That's some serious, Darth Vader level evil shit. In popular culture, calling a woman "Yoko Ono" doesn't imply that she's asian or a hack artist, but that you're worried she's gonna break up your band.

Sir Paul also absolved Yoko Ono, Mr Lennon's then-wife of responsbility for the group breaking up.
"She certainly didn't break the group up," he said.

Sir Paul also absolved Yoko Ono, Mr Lennon's then-wife of responsbility for the group breaking up.
"She certainly didn't break the group up," he said.

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but we're in a post-truth era.

Brian Epstein's death and Paul McCartney's domineering did a lot more to break up the Beatles than Yoko Ono ever could have hopes to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapapost

Also, "ono" is apparently an emoji on Tapatalk.

7bacc9de88f37436c34baac150579006.png

Sent from my iPhone using Crapapost

I don't think anyone gives a shit about her being an asian woman, or even as a "conceptual artist" of debatable merit. What counts is that

SHE BROKE UP THE FUCKING BEATLES, MAN!!!!!!

That's some serious, Darth Vader level evil shit. In popular culture, calling a woman "Yoko Ono" doesn't imply that she's asian or a hack artist, but that you're worried she's gonna break up your band.

And nobody would have thought twice if she'd looked like all the rest of the Beatles's girlfriends.

Back