Piano Guitar Duet

tgk03

Ain't it crazy?
A Facebook friend hipped me to Clifford Gibson whom I had never heard.
Browsing around, I find a duet with Roosevelt Sykes, who is one of my favorite blues piano players.

May this find you well:

Wow, he's as busy on the guitar as Roosevelt is on the piano. What a shame that we only have a few recordings of what was going on musically then. They may well have been playing that together for only the first time.

I wish you'd posted this in the Lounge, because I think it might get more traffic.

I've always loved guitar/piano duets; they're both instruments I've played since childhood, and I really love the intimacy of duets. It takes two attentive musicians who are great listeners.

I'll post some in a bit.

I wish you'd posted this in the Lounge, because I think it might get more traffic.

I've always loved guitar/piano duets; they're both instruments I've played since childhood, and I really love the intimacy of duets. It takes two attentive musicians who are great listeners.

I'll post some in a bit.
Hey, thanks for posting these. As you may have seen, we just received a nice upright Kawai from my mother in law's estate, which is motivating me to revisit the instrument of my youth, which I hope will expand and propel my study of guitar. I studied piano up through my senior year, but regretfully did not pursue it past that time, only occasionally plunking around on stuff I used to know in all these years since. I was pretty ok for a recreational player of that age, but got bored with my instructor continuing to assign more work by Russian composers. Nothing wrong with them, but I wanted to play a little more improvisationally. Kinda hoping my guitar study will help me move in a more chord/scales/modes/chord tones direction on the piano, and that my work on the piano will help me gain knowledge on the guitar, and hope promote more ideas.

Since you have played both since childhood, any thoughts or suggestions on that?

Hey, thanks for posting these. As you may have seen, we just received a nice upright Kawai from my mother in law's estate, which is motivating me to revisit the instrument of my youth, which I hope will expand and propel my study of guitar. I studied piano up through my senior year, but regretfully did not pursue it past that time, only occasionally plunking around on stuff I used to know in all these years since. I was pretty ok for a recreational player of that age, but got bored with my instructor continuing to assign more work by Russian composers. Nothing wrong with them, but I wanted to play a little more improvisationally. Kinda hoping my guitar study will help me move in a more chord/scales/modes/chord tones direction on the piano, and that my work on the piano will help me gain knowledge on the guitar, and hope promote more ideas.

Since you have played both since childhood, any thoughts or suggestions on that?

When I'm teaching, I'm kind of like a Bach Nazi.

Find a copy of first book of the 'Well-Tempered Clavier' and try to work on two preludes a month, to start, and forget about the fugues.

Supplement that with a Real Book, and listening to lots of standards.

When I'm teaching, I'm kind of like a Bach Nazi.

Find a copy of first book of the 'Well-Tempered Clavier' and try to work on two preludes a month, to start, and forget about the fugues.

Supplement that with a Real Book, and listening to lots of standards.
Arrggh. Bach. I was thinking more Springsteen or more realistically, Bittan, or something like that. :wink: Ok. I will check some of those out. Curious, why so much a Bach proponent? Sounds a bit like Dr. Fugue from "Arthur". :) (Teacher assigns Bach's Invention in F Major).

Arrggh. Bach. I was thinking more Springsteen or more realistically, Bittan, or something like that. :wink: Ok. I will check some of those out. Curious, why so much a Bach proponent? Sounds a bit like Dr. Fugue from "Arthur". :) (Teacher assigns Bach's Invention in F Major).

Independence, in a word. Obviously for the fingers, but it also develops the brain. Like juggling while riding a unicycle and reciting Shakespeare sonnets.

Independence, in a word. Obviously for the fingers, but it also develops the brain. Like juggling while riding a unicycle and reciting Shakespeare sonnets.

68310cb92f1817e25df3b390ee710686.jpg

Was in the big city of Twin Falls yesterday and stopped at a couple music shops. Did not find Clavier, but found some Bach Preludes and Fugues, so I can get started on the Preludes. Will search amazon for the Clavier for later. Also picked up this book of chords and arpeggios from my mother in law's collection to review basics. Finding it useful to review the chords and inversions and arpeggios on piano then immediately on the guitar. It has always been a problem of mine to remember where the notes are on the guitar, and I have been too heavily reliant on shapes without really paying attention to what notes I was playing. This brings it together.

b4a2e5ffc155aed8abc2f3fefad44218.jpg

Daughter enjoying said piano. She was dubious at first, as she likes the Yamaha weighted key keyboard just fine. But after playing a bit, declared she liked this one, particularly the better action on the sustain pedal.

Back