I seriously hate my studio PC...

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
It's newer than my current iMac, has more memory and a better processor, but it needs to be restarted often because it starts slowing down, programs hang and crash at random, can't display YouTube videos or use any sound sources that can't be routed through the MOTU soundcard and takes forever to open things, even though it's stringently maintained and defragged.

*looks at calender towards Christmas*

:(

You know, my 'studio PC' has a ton of problems, but none of them relate to my recording. I can't open an internet browser with it. It often has several programs I have to manually close on shutdown, etc....but it still performs like a champ for recording.

My laptop works great for everything except recording, and I may have finally worked all the bugs out of that too. :embarrassed:

i can never find a program that actually cleans my pc well enough

Agreed - spyware - virus - registry cleaners - seems like they run in the background causing more overhead on the CPU then anything else.

The best cleaner is C:/Format

If it really is your "studio PC" and all you use it for is recording, you shouldn't even have an internet connection on it. Get it stable and basically never mess with it again until it physically craps out and you have to start replacing things. It's amazing how many G4 Macs and older PCs you still see in studios even now, they still work because they never got all infested with viruses and extraneous software and all that mess.

If it really is your "studio PC" and all you use it for is recording, you shouldn't even have an internet connection on it. Get it stable and basically never mess with it again until it physically craps out and you have to start replacing things. It's amazing how many G4 Macs and older PCs you still see in studios even now, they still work because they never got all infested with viruses and extraneous software and all that mess.

I couldn't possibly agree more.
My studio pc has never been online and has worked without any problems for 9 years now. :)

My father in law has a Windows 95 machine in his office that I just made him replace this year for fear of the hard drive failing more than anything else. It had never been on the internet and hadn't had a problem in 13 years. I got him a new Dell for his desk but the old one sits in his parts room at the shop and he uses it as an archive sometimes.

My 2002 G4 Titanium Powerbook runs great (if a little slow) too and its got OX10.5.8 on it. All I use it for is the internet, though.

One more thing....what do you think of the nicer Mac Mini for a recording machine in a small project studio?

Back